COACH'S CODE OF CONDUCT
The Coach's Example is Powerful.
I will abide by the Little League Volunteer Pledge as follows: I will teach all children to play fair; I will positively support all managers, coaches, and players; I will respect the decisions of the umpires; I will praise a good effort despite the outcome of the game.
If a coach insists on fair play, concentrates on players' overall long term development and supports the umpire, players and parents will notice. If a coach discourages (or allows) players to play outside the rules and criticize the umpires or opposing coaches, players and parents will also notice. Above all, children deserve a coach they can respect.
Keeping Players Safe.
Coaches should have the safety of the players on their mind as their first priority at all times. Coaches should be familiar with the facilities and the fields on which their team practice and play, and be mindful of the levels of fitness and skill of each one of their players. Coaches should also be familiar with the rules of the game, current with principles of age-appropriate coaching, and aware of applicable existing rules and regulations.
Creating a Positive Experience.
Coaches should make sure that all players and spectators adhere to the highest level of sportsmanship at all times. During a game, the coach is responsible for the sportsmanship of the players and the parents. If a player is disrespectful, irresponsible or overly aggressive, the coach should remove the player from the game. Coaches should explain what is acceptable behavior to players and parents at a preseason meeting. Coaches should encourage parents to make positive comments about good play by either team and prohibit parents and spectators from yelling at players, coaches and umpires.
Relating to Officials.
Coaches should demonstrate respect for any official and his/her role. Coaches can help umpires improve by letting them
concentrate on the game, accepting their inevitable, occasional mistakes and offering constructive post-game comments.
Coaches Code of Conduct
I will lead by example to all players and parents and focus on skills development by adhering to the following conduct at
· I will do my best to create a baseball experience that will be of enjoyment, while focusing on the development of the players' skills as well as striving for them to play to the best of their abilities all the times. I will be generous with praise when it is deserved.
· I will avoid any conduct which could be construed as physically abusive.
· I will completely refrain from verbal dissent during a game with an opposing coach's bench as well as the umpires.
· I understand that I must recommend any extreme disciplinary action, such as a team dismissal to the league president for their actions. No coach shall dismiss a player or take extreme punitive action on his/her own.
· I will check players' equipment and playing facilities frequently. They should meet safety standards and be appropriate for the age and ability of the players.
· I will follow the advice of a physician when determining when an injured player is ready to play again. During a game, and in an absence of medical advice, coaches should err on the side of caution in permitting an injured player to return to play.
· I will impress upon players and parents the importance of adhering to a high level of sportsmanship at all times and explain to them the possible consequences of failing to behave respectfully during practices and games.
· Before a game, I will introduce myself to the umpire and the opposing coach during the plate meeting. During the game, I will speak to the umpire respectfully. If I feel that the umpire is making repeated bad calls, I will calmly speak with the umpire one on one to share my concerns. I will not berate the umpires.
· I understand that small disagreements can be discussed with the umpire calmly after the game. I will report major complaints (ex. If the umpire appeared to be unfair, biased, unfit or incompetent) to my League President or District Administrator.
Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs
I will refrain from using alcoholic beverages, smoking tobacco or marijuana, vaping or consuming any other drug or intoxicant on the diamond, in the dugouts, in the stands or in the vicinity of any players during games, practices or team meetings
Acknowledgment I have read, understand and hereby agree to, abide by and support this Coaches Code of Conduct document.
I understand that failure to abide by this Code of Conduct can cause me to be reported to the League President for disciplinary action that may include my dismissal as coach of the team. The League President may also report my actions to the District Administrator.